Invasive Plant Management for Industry Professionals - Cranbrook (2)
Time & Location
About the event
A course designed for operational and management professionals who work in Industry: Forestry, Mining, Oil and Gas, Utilities, Aggregate, and Horticulture. This course introduces participants to invasive plant management at the field level. Instruction will include invasive plant ecology; right-of-way maintenance and its influence on the introduction and distribution of invasive plants; mapping and monitoring invasive plants using IAPP and Report-A-Weed; invasive control and disposal methods; the proper and safe use of recommended equipment; and applicable regulations and best management practices. EKISC Certification of Completion will be awarded on completion. Participants will receive ID books.
The course objectives are:
1. Reinforce Best Management Practices in the industry and how they relate to their FPS’s.
2. Gain a better understanding of the impact of invasive species in the RDEK and how they relate to the industry.
3. Identify key invasive plants, the characteristics of invasive plants and describe their impacts on the landscape while in the presence of the experts from EKISC.
4. Introduce methods of reporting weed infestations including using the “Report-a-Weed” app and using the IAPP website (both available to the public).
5. Conduct a site evaluation, including identifying target species and utilizing proper control methods and regimes for effective invasive plant control.
" Notebook and pen
" iPad or iPhone with the Report-A-Weed App downloaded
" Clothing to go outside
1. Weed Basics
c. How they spread
2. Best Practices for Forest Management
a. Best Practices review (booklet)
b. Management options
c. Legislation surrounding invasive weeds
3. Recording and Reporting Invasive Plant Species
a. IAPP overview
b. Report-A-Weed overview
c. iPad Applications for IAPP
4. Weed Identification
a. Hands on identification using plant ID guide
b. Reporting in the field using IAPP
08:30 - 8:50 Welcome and Introductions
Introduction of EKISC
8:50 - 9:05 Overview and Summary of IP Legislation
Legislation and its relation to the industry
9:05 - 10:00 Invasive Species
Definitions and characteristics of invasive species
Vectors of spread
10:00 - 10:30 Reporting
10:30 - 10:45 Break
10:45 - 12:30 Field Session
Identify weeds and native species
Identify common terrain features for the spread of invasive plants
Hand pulling methods
Conduct a site assessment (use the report-a-weed app in the field or IAPP on iPad)