Time & Location
About The Event
Community weed pulls provide an excellent opportunity for a group of people to get outdoors, learn about invasive plants and control the spread of these destructive species. Organizing these events can also help your group earn some cash through a stipend!
The East Kootenay Invasive Species Council has had a program in place for many years to assist with Community Weed Pulls all over the region.
Here’s how it works:
1. Contact EKISC with your proposed weed pull event. Weed pulls must be for either Noxious Species or Priority Invasive Species. Weed pulls should take place on Crown land.
2. Set a date with EKISC and spread the word about the weed pull!
3. On the day of the weed pull, EKISC will provide gloves, ID books, refreshments & garbage bags. EKISC will also provide a staff person for the event and will make a short presentation to help with the identification of species and will describe the threats that invasive plants pose, etc.
4. The organizers need to provide a minimum of 8 people for three hours of work.
5. The organizers also need to provide vehicle(s) to transport the bagged invasive plants to the nearest landfill or transfer station after the event.
6. At the completion of the event, EKISC will issue a $200.00 cheque to the organizing group. EKISC will not issue the cheque to an individual. Community associations, not-for-profits, schools, service clubs and charities have all received stipends in the past.
**EKISC has limited time and funds available for these events. If you are interested in organizing an event, don’t delay in contacting us**